Neem tree has been known as a wonder tree for ages due to its many benefits to mankind. It is commonly referred to as the friend of a village because it can be used to cure common ailments like urinary disorders, diarrhea, fever, skin diseases, burns, inflammatory diseases and so on.
Health Benefits of the Neem Tree
Neem tree is beneficial, not only by its leaves but its bark, roots as well as stem. We have enlisted few advantages of neem tree here.
- According to modern research, neem has a lot of verifiable attributes which make it an indispensable ingredient in the modern manufacture of drugs and cosmetics.
- It has been discovered that it contains both alkaloids and limonoids which are very medicinal. For example, Nimbin and nimbidin which are alkaloids found in neem have antiviral and anti-fungal properties.
- Azadirachtin which is a liminoid has been discovered to be 95% effective when used as an ingredient for the production of pesticides and insecticides.
- Another liminoid (gedunin) has been used in treating malaria in tropical countries and it is usually administered as a tea or herbal infusion.
- Even though all parts of the neem tree are medicinal, its bark, leaf, and oil are more beneficial. Its cool, bitter bark can be traditionally used to treat tiredness, fever, loss of appetite and kill worms.
- Due to its antiseptic and astringent properties, it can be used for healing wounds.
- It can also be used to traditionally clean the teeth by snapping off a twig of the tree and chewing it.
- The bark is also used for preventing bleeding gums and tooth decay.
- The magical neem leaf works as an anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent to the skin. It takes care of common skin diseases like eczema, ringworm, and acne.
- It is also used for treating wounds and if you can lay your hands on a neem leaf, crush into a paste, then apply it directly to the wound.
- The leaf is also good for removing toxins from the body, purifying the blood and eliminating toxic, free radicals.
- It nourishes the hair and has antibacterial as well as antiviral properties.
- Neem oil is derived by crushing the seeds and it is very useful for treating skin problems just like the leaf.
- It is particularly effective in treating dandruff as well as eradicating head lice and it creates a purifying effect when used in aromatherapy.
- If you don’t have a neem tree in your compound, you can still enjoy the benefits of its bark, leaf, and oil. There are many herbal products having neem as one of the active ingredients and a visit to a nearby herbal shop or a little search online will do justice to that.
That’s what we had to say about neem tree. Make sure you share our article. Be happy!